Friday, July 11, 2014

Songs of Summer Bloghop


Today is the Songs of Summer Bloghop

We all have a "Songs of Summer" list in our heads, songs that evoke blissful thoughts of sunshine, blue skies, sandwiches eaten at the beach with grains of sand stuck in them, coconutty sunscreen. When I happen to stumble across one of these songs on the radio in the bleak, blue cold of winter I can shake off the stinging snowflakes and know that summer will indeed return. 

Number 5
'What Time Is It?' from the soundtrack to High School Musical 2, 2007

It's been a long time since the kids were into the 'High School Musical' movies. Nevertheless as the last day of school before summer vacation approaches, this song gets stuck in my head. "Finally summer's here! Good to be chillin' out!" And I almost recreate this dancing-on-the-desks scene at my own school. Go on, give it a listen. It's as catchy as all get-out.

Like a dork, I play it for both kids when they get home on that last day! (They barely tolerate me.)

Number 4
'Magic' by The Cars, 1984

Hard not to dream about summer when a song belts out at its beginning, "Summer! It turns me upside down. Summer, summer, summer... it's like a merry-go-round" Summer felt like this back in 1984 and feels that way today as well.

Number 3:
'Summer Lovin' from the soundtrack to Grease, 1978

A bit of a predictable choice, but this movie always aired on t.v. in the summer when we were kids. The whole movie and every song bring back that kid-in-the-summertime feeling.

Number 2:
'Tha Good Life' by Cisco Adler, 2012

Our daughter introduced this song to us. Ever since she first played it - while we were driving around with the windows down, wind in our hair - it has been a favorite. It features one of her favorite musicians, Mod Sun. The song has a laid back, sunshiney feel to it. 

Number 1:
'Green Onions' by Booker T & the M.G.'s from the soundtrack to American Graffiti, 1973


A groovy, timeless, drivin' around song from another movie set in the summertime. I "borrowed" my dad's VHS copy of the movie for about a decade and later found a copy of the double-album LP at a record store in Maine. The whole soundtrack is amazing: Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, The Platters, Bill Haley & The Comets, Chuck Berry - songs that bring to mind classic summer scenes at drive-in movies and drive-in restaurants with roller-skating waitresses! 

The first video clip is the drag race scene from the movie that opens with 'Green Onions' and the next is the song on its own.

Honorable Mention
'Home on the Range' as performed by the Mr. Ding-A-Ling ice cream truck...

... as it relentlessly roams our neighborhood pedaling its frozen dairy treats! (Actually, I still get excited when I hear it approaching and am the first to run out with a fistful of quarters.)
~~~~~~~~~~
Many thanks to our evenly-tanned hosts: Armchair Squid,  Cygnus at Servitor Ludi and Suze at Subliminal Coffee! Check out their selections, as well as the selections by these folks! 


1.The Armchair Squid2.Subliminal Coffee
3.My Creatively Random Life4.Alex J. Cavanaugh
5.L.G. Smith Bards and Prophets6.I Think; Therefore, I Yam
7.Servitor Ludi8.Stephanie Faris, Author
9.WOMEN: WE SHALL OVERCOME10.Cherdo on the Flipside
11.Nicki Elson's Not-so-deep-thoughts12.Trisha @ WORD STUFF
13.Hungry Enough To Eat Six14.V's Reads
15.Life Before the Hereafter16.The ToiBox of Words
17.StratPlayer's Creative Output18.DiscConnected
19.Aristotle's Mistake20.Deniz Bevan at The Girdle of Melian
21.Words Incorporated22.Madeline Jane
23.Arlee Birds Tossing It Out

16 comments:

  1. Good morning, Nan! Great list. You and Cygnus both picked "Magic" - very cool.

    I love the idea of you playing the song when the kids get home. You say they barely tolerate you but on some level, they know they're damn lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so love this. We may be related, ha ha.

    Cherdo
    www.cherdoontheflipside.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! Man, that "Green Onions" has always been awesome.

    I haven't seen "American Graffiti" in a millions years, but 50's nostalgia was huge when I was a kid in the 70's (notice "Grease" was ALSO made in the 70's?). Now we're up to 90's nostalgia, lol!

    Like "The Good Life" -- very catchy with a fun hint of a reggae vibe sprinkled into the pop. A like the "Summer breeze got you feelin' nice" as a nod to the Seals and Crofts song where the "Summer breeze makes me feel fine."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home on the Range - unique choice. It's Magic is a popular song today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son and I just watched High School Musical 2 for the first time the other day. It's a perfect summer movie song. Great list Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice cream man! I still shout it ever time I hear the clinging music. :)

    I love that you play that song for your kids...and deep down, they love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this list. There are some really cool references. I can't believe I didn't think of Green Oions; that's such a cool song. I never heard of Tha Good Life, it's pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love The Cars, and "Magic" is a song I still love and hear on the radio all of the time. This was a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Green Onions! Classic, classic, classic summer fare. Reminds me of an old boyfriend big time. :)

    And can I just say that I am TOTally enamored of your choice to include the neighborhood ice cream truck song! (And that I love the fist full of quarters detail.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me, the music from Grease always takes me back to singing along with the soundtrack in my bedroom when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I forgot about American Graffiti! Great choice for a summer soundtrack. And Summer Nights too. Good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that GREEN ONIONS track--and never knew what it was called! And, who doesn't get a thrill when they hear an ice cream truck song! That Good Life song was new, but cool. Oh! Summer.... :)
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool! Just like Veronica, I didn't know that "Green Onions" was called that, but knew the tune from way back.

    I'm sure someone somewhere has done an infographic showing the regional extent of the various ice cream truck jingles. (I never had one on my street growning up... too remote, but most of my friends remember Mr. Softee's jingle... which always sounded like the opening bars to the "Mister Ed" theme song to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen the High School Musical flicks, but that song was a perfect choice. I love that you play it for your kids on the last day of school. That's the kinda semi-corny stuff as I did for (to?) our kids when they were growing up. (Now they're doing that kinda stuff with their kids, so they musta liked it, and I'll bet your kids do, too.)

    Great song choices. Nice to meet ya.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Missed the High School Musical phenomenon, alas, I love a bit of musical froth and especially with dancing. Green Onions was a possible for my list too, but I'm not sure why I find it summery, I just do. And Grease of course: classic stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay, The Cars! Wish I had some ice cream right now :-)

    ReplyDelete

After writing your comment use the "Comment as" pull-down menu to choose a profile ("Anonymous" is easiest, especially if you don't have a profile!) Thank you!